Ask the Nurse

I’m 32 yrs old and married, but I never feel the appetite to have sex.

Your situation may fall under the umbrella of Female Sexual Dysfunction, IF you are distressed by this. If you are not distressed by low desire, then it is not a problem.

On the other hand, since you are married and presumably in an intimate relationship you may be more sexually active than your innate, natural desire is and thus experience sexual satiety. If you are bothered by your low libido (or if it is causing trouble in your relationship) you should seek medical evaluation.

For pre-menopausal women without relationship problems, there is a new FDA-approved medication on the market called Addyi ®/Flibanserin. It was recently FDA approved for women with low libido/hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) and is taken nightly. You need to avoid alcohol use when taking this medication and use it for at least 12 weeks to determine your response.

This is something you may want to talk to your physician about, especially if you are distressed. If you are not bothered by your situation, then you can be reassured.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women’s Health Nurse

October 27, 2015 at 9:57pm