Non-Surgical Body Sculpting Targets and Destroys Fat
Posted on June 27, 2018
Treatments That Target and Destroy Fat Without Surgery
Do you have stubborn areas of fat that aren’t responding to dietary changes or exercise? You might be curious about non-surgical body contouring treatments that target and destroy fat cells without surgery. These include:
Some of these options work by freezing fat cells, others employ heat through the use of ultrasound or radiofrequency energy. They offer a targeted way to reshape areas such as your abdomen, love handles, thighs and upper arms.
Is non-surgical body sculpting safe? Are results permanent?
Non-surgical body sculpting treatments are minimally invasive, and side effects are mild. However, it’s a good idea to review your health history when you talk with your practitioner about which treatment is best for you.
All types of body contouring devices work best for those who have a normal body mass index (between 18.5 and 24.9). They do permanently destroy fat cells.
How does non-surgical body sculpting compare with liposuction?
Non-surgical techniques won’t offer the same results as you would from a surgical procedure. Liposuction gets rid of about ten times the amount of fat, compared to these noninvasive treatments body sculpting.
These non-surgical treatments destroy the amount of fat you can pinch, called cutaneous fat.
How does non-surgical body sculpting work?
The procedures all work essentially the same way: They target and destroy fat, which your body’s lymphatic system then filters away over time, generally within a few months.
Cold treatments (CoolSculpting)
- These employ temperatures cold enough to kill fat cells but not damage your skin. A device pulls portions of skin in by suction, then cools it to destroy the fat underneath for a set amount of time. You can use this procedure on many body parts including the chin, arms, abdomen, love handles and thighs. It’s safe for most patients. However, those who have a vascular condition that makes them extra sensitive to cold temperatures (Raynaud’s syndrome, for instance) should not use this treatment.
Heat treatments (SculpSure)
- This laser is FDA-approved for fat reduction. The device uses laser energy to damage the structure of fat cells. The body then eliminates the dead cells.This device uses a flat applicator, so it doesn’t work well on body areas with curves. Heat treatments work best for the stomach and thighs.
Ultrasound energy (UltraShape)
- This type of treatment uses ultrasound energy to break down fat. It is the most time-intensive of the four types, taking approximately one hour per treatment session. Instead of hooking you up to a machine, a technician will move the device around manually. It uses a mechanical vibration to break down and destroy fat. This works on the abdomen and isn’t meant for other areas, Dr. Khetarpal says. There is no discomfort, she says.
Radiofrequency energy (truSculpt, Vanquish)
- Radiofrequency devices deliver energy to create heat and destroy fat cells. They target water in the cells, so it’s important to hydrate your body well beforehand, Dr. Khetarpal says. The treatment is not as effective if you’re dehydrated. You might feel a warm sensation during this procedure, she says.
What can you expect after these treatments?
All the treatments get rid of fat in stubborn areas. Here are some other general facts:
- They don’t require anesthesia or downtime.
- They take anywhere from 25 minutes to one hour in a doctor’s office.
- You can plan on two to four sessions overall, depending on which treatment you choose and which area you’re treating.
- It takes about 12 to 16 weeks for the body to process and dispose of the fat. That’s when you’ll see the full effect of each treatment.
- Any pain from these treatments is generally minimal.
- Afterward, you may experience some redness, swelling, bruising and tenderness in the treatment area for a few days.
How do you find a good physician?
It’s a good idea to do your homework and choose a physician carefully. You get what you pay for, so do your research.
A trained physician is your best bet for good results. The treatments are safe and effective, but things can go wrong if the physician doesn’t operate the equipment correctly.
Be Strong. Be Healthy. Be in Charge!
- Shilpi Khetarpal, MD
Dermatologist, Cleveland Clinic
women's health, body sculpting, non-surgical fat freezing, CoolSculpting, SculpSure, Ultrasound energy, Dr. Shilpi Khetarpal