Curious as to how many calories you need to maintain your current weight? Try our Weight Maintenance Calculator to find out.
By consuming these calories on an average daily basis, you should maintain your weight. If you are interested in losing weight and maintaining your desired weight, here are some tips:
- Eat fewer calories by cutting down on portions and/or decreasing the total amount of fat and sugar in your diet.
- Limit added fats such as fried foods, margarine/butter, salad dressing, rich sauces, gravy, and mayonnaise. Season instead with herbs, lemon, vinegar, wine and low-calorie marinades.
- Do not skip meals; 4-5 “mini-meals” may help to satisfy your hunger while keeping your weight under control.
- Do not "starve" yourself. That can leave you to feeling deprived and increase the temptation to binge. Rather apply the techniques that helped you meet your goal weight.
- Keep low calorie, low-fat snacks on hand such as popcorn, raw vegetables with low calorie dips or fruit.
- Choose foods high in fiber such as whole-grain breads, high fiber cereals, brown rice, whole wheat pasta and fruits and vegetables.
- Keep a food and exercise journal. Write down everything you eat or drink including portion sizes. The food journal will help you learn about your eating habits.