Ask the Nurse

I am not able to use any form of hormone replacement due to severe headaches. I had a total hysterectomy at age 50, and I am 67 years old now. I have very severe dry vaginal tissue that breaks and bleeds, and I get urinary infections from the breakage. It has been 7 years since my husband and I have been able to have relations due to my issues. I am desperate for a solution.

Women with vaginal atrophy, also called genitourinary syndrome of menopause, can have their atrophy treated with non-hormonal options like:

  1. Oral daily Osphena
  2. Vaginal DHEA
  3. Imvexxy (4mcg) - a very low estrogen, vaginal option that does NOT have systemic absorption

Sometimes other conditions like lichen sclerosis and lichen planus can cause vaginal problems. Please seek out a women’s health specialist for care.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women’s Health Nurse

September 10, 2018 at 9:36am