Ask the Nurse

I’m a post-menopausal breast cancer patient. I was Stage I, had a mastectomy, and had no lymph node involvement. They got everything, so I didn’t need chemotherapy because the Oncotype testing ruled it out. Based on a recommendation from a Nurse Practitioner, a friend of my Primary Care Physician, I’m seeking a hyaluronic cream vaginal lubricant. It’s been a year and a half since I’ve been able to have sexual relations. I’ve been using a very small amount of HRT, but it’s not helping enough - and this is what the docs want me to do! Any advice on which ones and where to obtain them.

You should seek out a menopause specialist who might be able to offer you oral Osphena (if you have no history of blood clots), compounded vaginal DHEA or even systemic full dose menopausal hormone therapy especially, if you are node negative and have other indications like bone thinning and hot flashes.

You need an exam to make sure there are no other conditions. As you might have vaginismus, which can be treated with physical therapy and pelvic biofeedback. Hyaluronic acid gel is a lubricant, but won’t change the integrity of the vagina back to normal.

All My Best,
Speaking of Women's Health Nurse

April 28, 2014 at 9:28am