These veggie-stuffed boats make a great summer dish and are made with cornbread stuffing, shredded carrots, onion and low-fat cheese. They are also wonderful paired with any meat.
- 2 medium zucchini
- ½ Cup shredded carrot
- ¼ Cup chopped onion
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 Cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 3 Tbsp water
- ¼ Cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Makes 4 servings
- Halve zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving ¼-inch thick shells. Discard pulp.
- Place zucchini halves, cut side down, in a large skillet. Add ½ cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain zucchini on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, prepare stuffing. Lightly spray a medium saucepan with vegetable spray. Add carrot and onion; cook over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Stir in stuffing mix and water.
- Spoon stuffing into prepared zucchini, then sprinkle cheese on top; place them in shallow baking dish.
- Bake in 350° oven about 20 minutes, or until zucchini are tender and stuffing is heated through.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories: 114
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 226mg
Recipe created by Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute