This melt-in-your mouth coffeecake starts with a time-honored family pantry staple, biscuit baking mix. Holly Clegg's personal favorite recipe - she loves the naturally sweet yams with the tart cranberries.
This recipe is from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC® Too Hot in the Kitchen.
Makes 16 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed or 1 cup mashed Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes)
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven 400°F. Coat 9x9x2-square baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In bottom of prepared pan, mix together butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and corn syrup. Spread mixture evenly in pan. Sprinkle with pecans.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together biscuit baking mix, sweet potatoes, and milk until dough forms a ball. Turn dough onto surface heavily dusted with baking mix and roll or pat into 12-inch long rectangle.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture and cranberries evenly over dough. Roll up dough jellyroll style from longer side. Cut crosswise into one-inch pieces and arrange sitting on top of the pecan mixture in pan. Dough will spread when baking.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately run knife around sides and invert onto serving plate, scraping any brown sugar mixture from pan to top cake.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 184
- Calories from fat 30%
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 254mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sugars 16g
- Protein 2g
- Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Spicy Advice: Don’t let this dough intimidate you as it’s so easy to work with- can pat out with hands!
Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC® Too Hot in the Kitchen. For more of Holly's easy healthy recipes, visit her Blog and YouTube channel.