Yam Corn Bread Stuffing
Naturally sweet yams and cornbread team up for a mouthwatering savory stuffing. For a time efficient approach, prepare the cornbread and toast the pecans a day ahead. This recipe is from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites.
Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites
Makes 10 servings
- 2 cups chopped, peeled, Louisiana sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 cups crumbled cooked corn bread
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Vegetable (or chicken) broth, as needed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large skillet, cook sweet potatoes, onion, celery in butter over medium-high heat 7-10 minutes, or until just tender. Spoon mixture into large mixing bowl. Stir in parsley and ginger. Add corn bread and pecans, toss gently to coat. Add enough broth to moisten.
- Place stuffing in 2-quart oblong casserole. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes, or until heated through. Serve.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 211
- Protein (g) 5
- Carbohydrate (g) 29
- Fat (g) 9
- Calories from Fat (%) 37
- Saturated Fat (g) 2
- Dietary Fiber (g) 3
- Cholesterol (mg) 19
- Sodium (mg) 355
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1.5 fat
Terrific Tidbit: For a time-efficient approach, prepare the cornbread and toast the pecans a day ahead. Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins and enhance the nutritional value of this recipe.