One bite of this incredible fall favorite made with a spice cake mix, yam filling and chocolate chips was a taste sensation. This will be a requested recipe. Good use for leftover cooked sweet potatoes.
This recipe is from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC® Eating Well to Fight Arthritis cookbook.
Makes 48 squares
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, butter, and egg until well mixed. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sweet potatoes, confectioners’ sugar, egg whites, and vanilla until creamy. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour mixture over batter in pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 134,
- Calories from Fat 31%
- Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 12mg
- Sodium 116mg
- Carbohydrates 22g
- Dietary Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 16g
- Protein 2g
- Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Terrific Tip: Most bar cookies freeze well, so feel free to make ahead and pull out when you have a craving.
Nutrition Nugget: You know yams are an excellent source of antioxidant-rich carotenoids because of their deep orange color – great for reducing inflammation.