This guacamole dish is ideal to use as a dip for chips, vegetables or as a zesty sandwich spread. Mix in cumin, kosher salt and ground pepper to make this guacamole wild! This guacamole adds a bite to any chips dipped into it and the fresh ingredients really help the spices to stand out.
Recipe from Cleveland Clinic Healthy Heart Cookbook.
- 2 medium ripe Hass avocados, halved
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons of minced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- Freshly ground pepper
- Using a spoon, scoop the avocado pulp from the shells and place it in a bowl. Using two forks, coarsely mash the avocado, leaving some chunks.
- Add the chile pepper, onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, cilantro and cumin. Mix again with the two forks, taking care not to over mix.
- Add the salt, if using, and pepper to taste. Lightly mix again.
- Transfer the guacamole to a serving dish and let stand until ready to serve at room temperature.
This recipe makes about 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 70 calories (68% calories from fat)
- 6 grams total fat (1.5 grams saturated fat)
- 1 gram protein
- 5 grams carbohydrate
- 4 grams dietary fiber
- 0 milligrams cholesterol
- 0 milligrams sodium
- 350 milligrams potassium