Recipe submitted by Katie Taylor, Chief Customer Officer, Sara Lee Branded Apparel (Hanes).
Try this healthy and great-tasting twist on your favorite chili recipe. White Bean Chili is full of calcium and healthy nutrients, and a good source of complex carbohydrates. Add hot sauce, kidney beans and chicken breasts for a “five alarm” taste!
- 1 1/2 pound skinless chicken breasts
- 4 14-ounce cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 14-ounce cans white northern beans
- 1 14-ounce can white kidney beans
- 2 heaping teaspoons cumin
- 2 heaping teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Couple of dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can chopped green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Poach in 2 cans chicken broth for approximately 15 minutes depending on size. Chicken should be fully cooked, not pink in middle. Keep at a very low simmer, otherwise chicken will be tough.
- While chicken is poaching, combine chicken broth, white northern beans, white kidney beans, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper and hot sauce in a 6-quart stock pot.
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add green chilies and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add to other ingredients.
- When chicken is poached, let cool and cut or tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken to chicken stock mixture.
- Cook for at least one hour and serve.
This recipe serves 6.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 275 calories
- 33 grams protein
- 10 grams carbohydrates
- 10 grams fat
- 2 grams saturated fat
- 29 milligrams calcium