Recipe submitted by Lisa Flournoy, writer, editorial department, Creative Studio, American Greetings.
This recipe comes straight from Lisa’s mom, who loves to cook greens on Sunday. We think they’re a perfect addition to any table. Greens are loaded with calcium, iron and vitamins. Enjoy them anytime! Serve as a meal or side dish. Garnish with sliced tomatoes and chopped sweet onions.
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 pound fresh turnip greens (with or without turnip roots attached)
- 1 pound fresh kale greens
- 1 pound fresh mustard greens
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach greens
- 3 small or 2 large smoked turkey tails
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Thoroughly wash greens in cool water.
- Peel and cut turnip roots into quarters.
- Rinse and place smoked turkey, garlic, turnip roots and olive oil into a 5-quart pot, fill with water, cover and bring to a rapid boil for 15 minutes.
- Add turnip, kale and mustard greens to boiling water.
- Reduce to medium heat, cover and cook 1 hour.
- Add spinach, and cook for 15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings per recipe.
Prior to eating, some may prefer to discard the turkey tails.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 59 calories
- 3 grams protein
- 5 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams fat
- 0 grams saturated fat
- 4 grams fiber
- 115 milligrams calcium