Zonya Foco, RD • Author of Lickety-Split Meals for Health Conscious People on the Go! Visit www.zonya.com
When I was growing up, I remember Mom let us pick what we wanted to have for our birthday dinner. I always chose Beef Teriyaki. It's now my husband's favorite recipe for venison. This marinade is so versatile you can use it for any of your favorite meats, fish or even for tofu!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, reduced-sodium
- 1 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ginger (fresh grated is best)
- 5 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1 lb lean trimmed top round, sirloin, flank steak, chick breasts, venison, fish or 24oz tofu, cut into chunks or strips
- Night before or early morning, mix all ingredients listed above (except the meat or tofu) together in a bowl. Make sure the bowl is large enough to hold the meat that you will be marinating.
- Add meat or tofu and toss to coat.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. (Exception for fish: do not exceed 2 hours in marinade).
- Toss several times while marinating.
- Preheat gas grill or broiler.
- Position oven or grill rack 6 inches from heat source.
- Remove meat or tofu from marinade and grill or broil. Check meat or tofu frequently for doneness.
- Discard marinade.