Stir Fry: Vegetables, Tofu and Soba Noodles in Sweet Ginger Sauce
Like most stir-fries, this can be made in minutes if you have all the ingredients chopped and ready to go. Purchase soba noodles that are low in sodium, or substitute wide whole wheat noodles, which also are low in salt. Find hoisin, a sweet sauce made from soybeans and spices, and Thai chili sauce in most supermarkets.
3 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon peanut oil
6 ounces water-packed light extra firm tofu, frozen, prepared for cooking *, and cut into • -inch cubes
4 scallions, white parts and 3 inches of the green, sliced on the diagonal in •-inch slices
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 carrots, grated
1/4 pound snow peas, sliced lengthwise into thirds
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces baby spinach (about 2 cups)
8 ounces mung bean sprouts
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Sweet Ginger Sauce
½ cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
½ to 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce
- Combine all Sweet Ginger Sauce ingredients in a small pan, using chili sauce to taste. Heat to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Set aside. Cook the soba noodles 1 minute less than directed on the package, drain and set aside.
- Heat the sesame and peanut oils in a nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until hot.
- Stir in the tofu, scallions, garlic, carrots, snow peas, bell peppers and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium; add the Sweet Ginger Sauce. Stir in the spinach, bean sprouts, and reserved soba noodles. Cook just until the spinach wilts, then add the cilantro.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lime wedges.
*Prepare tofu for cooking by thawing at room temperature or by immersing (wrapped) in boiling water. Be sure to squeeze as much moisture out as possible.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Calories: 220 (13% calories from fat)
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Protein: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Dietary Fiber: 6 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 590 mg
Potassium: 660 mg