Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
A sensational and explosive combination of roasted sweet yams, crunchy corn, black beans in a light jalapeño dressing.. This recipe is from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 easy recipes from my Louisiana Kitchen.
- 6 cups peeled sweet potato (Louisiana yams) chunks (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2/3 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon jarred jalapeno slices
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking pan with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- On prepared pan, toss together sweet potatoes, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast about 30 minutes or until potatoes are crisp. Cool.
- In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, red onion, corn, black beans and cilantro.
- In blender, puree lime juice, garlic, jalapeno and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss with potato mixture and serve.
This recipe makes 12 (1/2-cup) servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 113 calories (28% calories from fat)
- 4 grams fat
- 0 grams saturated fat
- 0 milligrams cholesterol
- 99 milligrams sodium
- 19 grams carbohydrates
- 3 grams dietary fiber
- 4 grams sugars
- 2 grams protein
- Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Nutrition Nugget: Their rich orange color lets you know sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
Recipe from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 easy recipes from my Louisiana Kitchen. For more of Holly's easy healthy recipes and tips, visit her Blog and YouTube channel.