This hearty soup is a real family pleaser and stomach filler.
Submitted by Holly Clegg, author of trim&TERRIFIC® Gulf Coast Favorites
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups cubed, peeled, Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen corn
- In large nonstick pot, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is done, about 5-7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients, except corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add corn, continue cooking, covered, 15 minutes.
This recipe makes 9 (1-cup) servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 149 Calories
- Calories from fat 17%
- 3 g Fat
- 1 g Saturated Fat
- 28 mgCholesterol
- 289 mg Sodium
- 19 g Carbohydrate
- 3 g Dietary Fiber
- 4 g Sugars
- 13 g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat