No need to go fishing for a fresh recipe for a healthy salmon patty. This lunch or dinner dish is a perfect way to catch your heart-healthy Omega-3s. Canned salmon is a staple that’s delicious and as good for you as it is easy to prepare. Serve as burgers with lettuce and tomato or serve with a baked potato and green vegetables for a salmon patty dinner.
Recipe from Jason Kaiser, Team Leader, Wal-Mart Oral Care, Pfizer. Provided with permission from Speaking of Women’s Health keynote speaker Zonya Foco, R.D., and author of Lickety-Split Meals for Health Conscious People on the Go!
- 1 15-ounce can red or pink salmon, packed in water, drained
- 8 whole-wheat crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup seeded and finely-diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons “light” mayo or salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (bottled or freshly squeezed)
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- Place drained fish in a medium bowl (remove some of the skin, if desired); flake fish with a fork, mashing bones (great calcium).
- Add the next 5 ingredients and mix well.
- Shape the salmon mix into 4 patties.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat; cook salmon cakes, turning once, until lightly browned on each side.
- Assemble into burgers.
- Serve with vegetables.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 370 calories
- 26 grams protein
- 35 grams carbohydrates
- 12 grams fat