Submitted by Kally Mavromatis
Frozen puff pastry to the rescue for a quickly assembled dessert that can be adapted as various seasonal fruit harvests arrive at the market.
- Refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 quart fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar substitute
- Unbleached all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Frozen light whipped topping, thawed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the berries in a bowl. Stir in the cornstarch, lemon zest and sugar substitute, making sure that all berries are well coated.
- On a lightly floured board, roll the puff pastry into a 12 x 14-inch rectangle. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Mound the berries on the pastry, leaving a 1 ½-inch border. Fold in the four corners. Using wet fingers, bring up the border of the dough over the edge of the berries, pleating as you go to form a rustic free-form oval or rectangle. Sprinkle the berries with lemon juice.
- Generously coat the top of the tart with cooking spray and bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the berries are cooked and the pastry is golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of light whipped topping, if desired.
Makes 12 servings
Apple Currant Tart Variation
- Substitute 3 large, peeled, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples for the berries.
- Add 1/4 cup dried currants that have been softened in 2 tablespoons dry sherry.
- Reduce the sugar substitute to 2 tablespoons.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Bake according to the master recipe.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 140 calories (36% calories from fat)
- 6 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat)
- 2 g protein
- 20 g carbohydrate
- 3 g dietary fiber
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 70 mg sodium
- 40 mg potassium
- Dietary fiber
This heart-healthy recipe and more than 150 others are available from the nation's #1 heart center in the "Cleveland Clinic Healthy Heart Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook" (© 2007 Broadway Books). The cookbook is available in bookstores or online from Randomhouse.com, BN.com or Amazon.com.