Recipe from Valerie Simpson, Singer & Songwriter, Spokesperson, National Minority Health Initiative.
Valerie tells us this is a favorite of hers that she first tried at our National Speaking of Women's Health Sponsor Recognition Dinner. Enjoy the taste of chicken rolled in a warm crust and peppers.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup flour (all purpose)
- 8 stalks of asparagus, trimmed to 3" in length
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken, boned side up, on cutting board. Working from center out, pound chicken lightly with wooden mallet to make cutlets about 1/4- inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place a rosemary sprig, 2 stalks of asparagus and 2 strips of red pepper in center of each cutlet.
- Tuck in sides of each, and roll up (like a jelly roll), pressing to seal well. Skewer or tie securely.
- Coat rolls in flour. Brown lightly in olive oil and remove from skillet, transferring to baking dish, lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Cut each “roll" into slices.
This recipe serves 4
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 269 calories
- 36 grams protein
- 17 grams carbohydrates
- 12 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)
- 70 milligrams calcium