Quick Lemon Blueberry Bread
Blueberries burst with flavor and nutrition! This luscious lemon bread is my “go to" easy favorite; in fact, close your eyes and you'll think you are eating cake. This recipe is from Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.
Makes 16 servings
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat or regular biscuit baking mix
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 9x5x3-inch nonstick loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon extract.
- Stir in baking mix and lemon rind just until blended. Carefully stir in blueberries. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Immediately poke holes in 1-inch intervals on top of bread with toothpick. In microwave-safe dish, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice, heating until sugar is dissolved. Pour evenly over top of bread. Cool and slice.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 164
- Calories from fat 24%
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 37mg
- Sodium 200mg
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sugars 20g
- Protein 3g
- Dietary Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Spicy Advice: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before using, or the blueberries turn too mushy.