When you plan and fill your family’s picnic basket, surround Mom's Old Fashioned Potato Salad with whole-wheat bread and fresh fruit (both have fiber), and thoughtful beverages. And be sure to clean those hands before you eat!
Recipe submitted by Debbie Kimrey-Hodges, Vice President & Divisional Merchandise Manager of Cosmetics & Skin Care, Wal-Mart.
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place potatoes in large saucepan with enough water to steam. Cover and steam about 1 hour until tender. Drain and cool.
- Dice potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mash hard boiled eggs.
- Combine celery, red onion and red bell pepper into small bowl with mashed eggs.
- In a large bowl, combine Dijon mustard, sour cream, canola mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add vegetable mixture to dressing and mix well.
- Add potatoes to dressing and vegetables and mix well.
This recipe makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 220 calories
- 6 grams protein
- 31 grams carbohydrates
- 8 grams fat
- 80 milligrams cholesterol
- 515 milligrams sodium
- 4 grams fiber