Open Face Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Move over pulled pork, this chicken has a perfectly balanced tangy and sweet savory barbecue sauce. Serve with your favorite barbecue condiments—I like red onions and pickles. Try with Brie, for a fantastic addition.
This recipe is from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC® Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into chunks
- 2 whole wheat buns, split and toasted
- In medium pot, combine all ingredients except chicken. Bring to boil, add chicken. Reduce heat, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- When chicken is fall-apart tender, shred chicken using two forks. Pile on toasted buns.
Spicy Advice: Try serving over Sweet Potato Cornmeal Biscuits.
Makes 4 servings with 1/2 cup pulled chicken
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 220 calories (calories from fat 12%)
- 3 grams fat
- 1 gram saturated fat
- 66 milligrams cholesterol
- 429 milligrams sodium
- 20 grams carbohydrate
- 2 grams dietary fiber
- 8 grams sugars
- 29 grams protein
- Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat