Cabbage and black-eyed peas with meat and rice make this an ideal one-pot family meal for that lazy no-desire-to-cook day. And, it's really good!
Find more delicious recipes from Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup rice
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 (10-ounce) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- In large oven-proof pot, layer cabbage, rice, meat, tomatoes and green chilies, and beef broth.
- Cook, covered, 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring after 40 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Stir in black-eyed peas and season to taste.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 212 Calories
- 12% Calories from fat
- 3g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 31mg Cholesterol
- 446mg Sodium
- 30g Carbohydrates
- 3g Dietary Fiber
- 2g Sugars
- 17g Protein
- Dietary Exchanges: 1½ starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat
Recipe from Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.