Mom’s Chicken Cacciatore
Recipe from Dr. Glennis Orloff, Program Director - New Products, Intuition Women's Razor System, Schick-Wilkinson Sword and Energizer Company.
Who doesn't love an Italian-inspired hearty meal? Here's a healthier take on a classic favorite. Yes, it's high in calories, but consider that, if eaten with a simple green salad, your entire meal will still be reasonable in calorie count.
- 4-6 skinned chicken breasts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar
- Season breasts with pepper (and a little sea salt if desired) and brown on each side.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 4-5 minutes in a skillet.
- Add pepper, tomatoes, oregano and wine and bring to a boil. Cook about 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add in chicken; cook another 10-15 minutes turning chicken until it is done.
- Serve over pasta (approximately 1/2 pound, before cooking) or rice (approximately 1 1/2 cups before cooking).
Each recipe yields 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 473 calories (13% calories from fat)
- 45 g protein
- 54 g carbohydrates
- 7 g fat
- 42 mg calcium