Submitted by: Lauren Weber, DO • Women's Health Specialist and Family Practice, Center for Women's Health, A NorthBay Affiliate
Enjoy this delicious Middle Eastern Salad with salad dressing and then sprinkle crispy pita chips on top. Or for a low fat option, skip on the dressing and serve with cottage cheese or garbanzo beans for a healthy protein packed lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 loaf of Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain bread, chopped up
- 2½ cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 medium sized cucumber peeled and diced
- 4 scallions finely chopped
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic made into a paste with salt and a pestle and mortar (if you don't have one use the knife blade to smash into a paste)
- 2 generous portions of zataar seasoning
- Juice from two lemons
- Split in half a loaf of Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain Bread and chop up. Then coat the bread with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and generously sprinkle with zataar seasoning (found at a spice store or at middle eastern grocery stores).
- Place in oven at 325 degrees until crispy and brown (not burnt).
- Toss all of the herbs and vegetables and if you plan on eating immediately toss with dressing. Otherwide, hold on mixing the dressing as the lettuce will get soggy.
- Toss dressing with salad and then sprinkle crispy pita chips on top, or serve with cottage cheese or garbanzo beans for a healthy protein packed lunch or dinner.
To save on calories and fat, skip on the dressing and make your dish with 1 cup of salad sprinkled with pita chips and mixed with 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese.
- Combine olive oil, garlic paste, za'taar seasoning and lemon juice.
Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
(Analysis includes 1/4 cup olive oil)
- Calories: 130
- Total Fat: 10grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
- Sodium: 65mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g