Fresh green peppers, onion, and tomatoes with canned soup give a fresh appeal to this traditional casserole.
Makes 6- 8 servings
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat Cheddar chees
- In large non-stick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté green pepper and onion until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add tomatoes, soups, picante sauce, and chili powder, mixing well.
- Line bottom of 3-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray with half the tortilla strips. Top with half the chicken and half the soup mixture. Repeat layers and sprinkle top with cheese.
To Prepare and Eat Now: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly.
To Freeze: Do not bake before freezing. Cool to room temperature, wrap, label, and freeze.
To Prepare After Freezing: Remove from freezer to defrost. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories: 425
- Protein: 45 g
- Carbohydrate: 40 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Calories from Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 108 mg
- Sodium: 1160 mg
- Diabetic Exchanges: 5 very lean meat, 2.5 starch, 1 vegetable