Healthy Pasta Salad
Recipe submitted by VeLois Bowers, Vice President, Diversity and Inclusion, Kellogg Company. Provided with permission from Speaking of Women's Health speaker Chef Carmen Bazille.
This festive salad, made with tri-colored pasta, vibrant veggies and succulent chicken, is the perfect side dish for any meal.
- 1 pound tri-colored pasta (for a healthy alternative, try whole-wheat pasta)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, fresh
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions (scallions) cut into pieces
- 8 ounces shelled sweet peas, frozen or fresh
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes (grape or cherry) cut in halves
- 8 ounces can ripe olives, sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons cilantro
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Miss Ruth's All Natural Seasoning, to taste (no salt is preferred)
- Raspberry vinaigrette dressing as needed to coat pasta
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 head Romaine lettuce to garnish the plate
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil to sauté chicken breasts until tender
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Sauté chicken in olive oil until juices run clear.
- Blanch the peas and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and toss.
- Note: One pound of pasta (uncooked) will yield two to two-and-a-half pounds cooked pasta.
This recipe makes 6 (1 cup) servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 409 calories
- 38 grams protein
- 35 grams carbohydrates
- 14 grams fat
- 2.5 grams saturated fat