Recipe from Pat Curran, Senior VP, Division U Operations, Wal-Mart.
"This recipe is the All-American comfort food. Prepare this as a side dish, or if using as a main dish, add some veggies..."
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces each low-fat cheddar, jack and sharp cheddar cheeses
- 16 ounce package of pasta – elbow, fussilli, rigatoni, pick your favorite!
- If serving as a side dish, limit portion size to one half to three-quarters of a cup. This equals fewer calories and just as much flavor!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- In separate saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir together. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly to form a roux. Adding milk too quickly will cause roux to be lumpy.
- Reserve about 2 ounces cheese. Add the rest to the sauce, along with mustard, sour cream, and salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Combine sauce with cooked noodles and pour into casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 20 minutes.
This recipe makes 8 (1 cup servings).
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 371 calories (22% calories from fat)
- 21 g protein
- 49 g carbohydrates
- 9 g fat
- 311 mg calcium