Recipe submitted by Steven Cawood, Corporate Marketing Manager, Wal-Mart.
This hearty soup is full of veggies and tastes great! Warm up on a cool night with this healthy favorite! Serve with warm cornbread or your favorite "whole grain" bread.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts.
- Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
This recipe makes about 6-8 (1 cup) servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 327 calories (28% calories from fat)
- 19 grams protein
- 44 grams carbohydrates
- 22 grams dietary fiber
- 10 grams fat
- 74 milligrams calcium