Kheer (Rice Pudding)
This Kheer recipe is an Indian dessert that is especially made on auspicious days. It is a rice pudding, which is a traditional South Asian sweet dish. The dessert can be flavored or garnished with raisins, crushed almonds or cashews.
Submitted by: Manisha Yadav, M.D., Cleveland Clinic Center for Specialized Women's Health
- 1/4 cup short grain white rice
- 4 cups 1 percent milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- First half boil the rice.
- Boil milk on stove and add the half boiled rice to the boiling milk.
- Keep on low to medium flame for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar as per taste.
- Serving suggestions: serve warm or keep in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours and serve cold.
Recipe makes 8 servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 100 calories
- 1g total fat
- 17g carbohydrates
- 12g sugar
- 5 g protein
If you substitute 1/4 cup sugar for 1/8 cup Splenda:
- 80 calories
- 1g fat
- 11g carbohydrates
- 6g sugar
- 5g protein