Bet your boots your friends will get a kick out of this new twist on an old favorite. Zucchini is added into the turkey or ground beef patties. Stake your claim with these neat sloppy joes. Just minutes from range to table.
Recipe submitted by Kelli Freeman, Vice President of Marketing, Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages.
- 3/4 pound ground meat. Turkey is best, or if you prefer beef, choose low-fat and rinse the meat after cooking. Or, mix 1/2 ground turkey with 1/2 lean ground beef for added flavor. Lean beefs include ground round or chuck.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Ragu spaghetti sauce, meatless
- 3 tablespoons Hunts tomato paste
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, whole wheat, split
- In large skillet, cook ground meat, onion and bell pepper over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain meat after cooking (rinse in colander under hot water if beef is used). Pat dry with a towel and return to skillet.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, zucchini, chili powder, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat. Add tomato paste to thicken and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture onto buns.
Each recipe makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 296 calories
- 26 g protein
- 18 g carbohydrates
- 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat)