Recipe from Mark Trowbridge, Merchandise Manager, Neighborhood Market Division, Wal-Mart.
What's 4th of July without a backyard grill...and what better than a healthy kabob, full of vegetables fresh from the market or garden! Have fun by substituting mango, pineapple, and tomatoes or try pork, lamb or even chicken...any of your favorites.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin or grilling steak
- Assorted vegetables
- Marinade (store-bought or homemade)
- Cooking spray
- Red onions, mushrooms
- Brightly colored peppers
- Summer squash, zucchini
- Grape, cherry or yellow tomatoes
- Cut marinated meat into 1-ounce chunks.
- Cut vegetables of your choice into large pieces – red onion, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, brightly colored peppers, yellow tomatoes, cherry tomatoes (put this on the end and add it last), summer squash, zucchini.
- Marinate veggies separately from meat.
- Soak wooden skewers in water to keep them from burning.
- Skewer, alternating meat with veggies. Spray with vegetable oil. Grill until meat is cooked thoroughly, rotating position on grill at least once.
- If using cherry or grape tomatoes, add just 1 minute before kabobs are finished cooking.
Each recipe makes 3 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 268 calories
- 28 g protein
- 15 g carbohydrates
- 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat)
- Fat, cholesterol and calorie content varies with different cuts of beef. Choose lean cuts such as round or beef loin, or trim fat from edges of meat.