Recipe from Jill Buhler, Executive Administrative Assistant, Guidant Corporation.
This is a healthy take on the classic summertime favorite BLT sandwich. It makes a perfect picnic lunch or light dinner. Grow your own tomatoes for a fresh taste.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Spinach leaves
- 1 tomato (sliced or chopped) (10 grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half)
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons bacon (torn into pieces)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
Toasted Slivered Almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet lightly with olive oil cooking spray and spread the almonds out on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven at 300 for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Mix together oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Set aside, let sit for at least one-half hour.
- Stir dressing before pouring on to salad.
- Right before serving, pour some dressing over romaine lettuce and spinach leaves in bowl, toss the lettuce and leaves.
- Add the shredded cheeses, bacon, tomato, red pepper, green onions and toasted almonds over lettuce and toss lightly.
Yields 4 servings of salad per recipe.
Note: The dressing recipe is enough for two large salads. Do not use the entire recipe on one salad. You can store the dressing in the fridge, for up to 3-4 days. (When using next day, take out of fridge and let dressing "warm up" a bit on counter for 10 minutes, stir and pour.)
Baker’s Tip: Add chopped chicken to turn this perfect lunch into a delicious main entree.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 273 calories
- 8 g protein
- 11 g carbohydrates
- 24 g fat
- 79% calories from fat (14% from saturated fat)
- 120 mg calcium
- 3.5 g dietary fiber
- If adding chicken, nutritional analysis will change.