Start your evening off special. Sophisticated presentation with simple preparation.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portabellas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup white wine or cooking wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices French bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large nonstick pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions and portabellas on medium heat, stirring, until onions are golden and very soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add sugar and garlic; continue cooking 15-20 minutes more, stirring. Add sherry, stirring to loosen any brown bits from pot.
- Add mustard, thyme, and flour, and stir one minute. Add broth and wine. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook about 20-30 minutes longer. Season to taste.
- In bowl, ladle hot soup, top with bread and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Microwave or broil (oven-proof bowl) until cheese melts. Serve.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 242 Calories
- 26% Calories from fat
- 7g Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 12mg Cholesterol
- 720mg Sodium
- 27g Carbohydrate
- 4g Dietary Fiber
- 5g Sugars
- 11g Protein
- Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Spicy Advice: The baby portabellas give the soup a rich, earthy flavor.
Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC™ Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age. For more of Holly's easy healthy recipes, visit her Blog and YouTube channel.