You don't have to speak Italian to say "delizioso!" to this classic. Add a lovely green salad to complete this meal, and even a piece of dark chocolate for dessert.
Recipe submitted by Lisa Klauser, Vice President of Customer Solutions Building Brands with Customers, Unilever.
- 1 eggplant, about 1/2 pound
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 tablespoons 2 percent milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce, see recipe
- 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/3 cups cooked angel hair pasta
- 2 cups cooked broccolini
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coarse black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 1/4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons parsley, freshly chopped
- In a large sauce pan, sauté onion, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper and red pepper flakes in olive oil until onions are soft. Add diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add remaining ingredients except for parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring frequently. Stir in parsley.
- Next, prepare the eggplant.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut eggplant into 8 slices, each slice 1/4-inch thick.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with milk. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then in egg milk mixture and then in breadcrumbs.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté eggplant in olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Transfer cooked eggplant slices to a baking dish.
- Top with marinara sauce and sprinkle cheeses over the top. Place in oven and cook for a few minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve 2 eggplant slices with 1/3 cup cooked pasta, and 1/2 cup cooked broccolini.
Makes 4 servings per recipe.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 380 calories
- 15 g protein
- 56 g carbohydrates
- 10 g fat
- 63 mg cholesterol
- 310 mg sodium
- 6 g fiber