Eggplant Beef Bake
This Eggplant Beef Bake is from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 easy recipes from my Louisiana Kitchen. Plentiful amounts of eggplant, beef, marinara and cheese give you an instant, one-dish casserole great for everyday meals.
Makes 8 servings
- 6 cups peeled, chopped, eggplant
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3 cups cooked rice (brown preferred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded, part-skim, mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté eggplant, onion, garlic, and meat until meat is done and eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes. Add oregano, basil, and rice. Season to taste and mix well.
- Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish. Cover with marinara sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20–30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 212
- Calories from fat 24%
- Fat 6 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 25 mg
- Sodium 372 mg
- Carbohydrate 28 g
- Dietary Fiber 5 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 13 g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat