Recipe from Robert Lack, Buyer, Dry Grocery, Wal-Mart.
A great and healthy way to start your day is with a delicious, veggie-filled egg white omelet. Substitute your favorite seasonal vegetables and try different low-fat cheeses for flavor.
- 8 egg whites, 4 per omelet
- Cooking spray
- Veggies – onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus, shallots
- Herbs – fresh basil, parsley, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper to taste
- Low-fat or fat-free cheese (optional)
- Lightly sauté veggies in olive oil.
- Coat omelet pan with cooking spray and heat.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy and pour into hot pan.
- Loosen the sides of the omelet – when the whites have partially firmed, carefully turn it over and cook the other side.
- Place veggies and cheese, if desired, in the center of the omelet.
- Fold the omelet over the vegetables. Garnish with additional herbs and cheese.
Each recipe makes 2 servings
Baker’s Tip: You can also use cholesterol-free egg substitute in place of egg whites. Cook according to directions.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 134 calories
- 12 g protein
- 1 g carbohydrates
- 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat)
- 38 mg calcium