Wake up and set your alrm for this "egg-sceptionally" great breakfast. With a variety of delicious flavors mixed in, everyone can’t wait to get up early.
Recipe from Lori Kumar, Merchandise Manager, Wal-Mart
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups variety of vegetables; choose from fresh spinach, broccoli, tomato, onion, mushroom
- 7 egg whites (if using fresh eggs, whisk egg whites with a fork until slightly frothy; otherwise use prepared egg whites)
- 1 whole egg
- 6 ounces turkey or chicken sausage, skin removed
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 3 ounces low-fat cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon herbs (oregano, dill, thyme, basil)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, cubed
This recipe yields 6 servings
- Prepare sausage according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté shallot in olive oil and herbs for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables, beginning with onion and broccoli, and ending with mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg whites, egg and milk.
- Process sausage until crumbled in food processor.
- In a glass baking dish coated with cooking spray, cover bottom with bread cubes.
- Crumble sausage, and then add veggies.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In morning, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, or until browned and baked through.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 169 calories
- 17 g protein
- 7 g carbohydrates
- 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat)