Easy Cranberry Yam Bread
Exceptionally quick and fantastic bread begins with biscuit baking mix. Cream cheese gives the bread a rich flavor, naturally sweet yams a natural sweetness, and cranberries a burst of tartness perfect for holiday festive bread. Great for breakfast, snack or to take to someone.
This recipe is from Holly Clegg’s trimandTERRIFIC® Eating Well Through Cancer cookbook.
Makes 16 slices
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in sweet potatoes and eggs. Stir in biscuit mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cranberries until just blended. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 189
- 4g Protein
- 31g Carbohydrate
- 6g Fat
- 26% Calories from Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 1g Dietary Fiber
- 37mg Cholesterol
- 231mg Sodium
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 0.5 fruit, 1 fat
Terrific Tip: Fresh cranberries freeze for one year. Quick breads freeze well also.
Nutrition Nugget: Cranberries provide a host of health benefits due to its high vitamin C and antioxidant properties, including tissue repair and growth, and urinary tract infection prevention.
Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trimandTERRIFIC® Eating Well Through Cancer. For more of Holly's easy healthy recipes and tips, visit her Blog and YouTube channel.