Decadent Chocolate Soufflé
Soufflés sound intimidating, but in reality they are easy to prepare, and, wonder of wonders, you can have everything ready to put together before the guests arrive. From that point, the soufflés will be on the table in 15 minutes.
- 1½ teaspoon transfree margarine
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground toasted almonds*
- 3 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon good-quality cocoa
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Cognac
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 12 strawberries, thinly sliced and fanned
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease four 6-ounce soufflé cups with the margarine.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the sugar with the almonds and 1 teaspoon of the cocoa. Coat the insides and bottom of the soufflé cups, tapping the sides to make sure they are coated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons water with the remaining sugar in a nonstick small pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture becomes thick, about 3 minutes. Do not allow the syrup to color. Brush down the sugar crystals on the sides of the pot with a wet pastry brush as the syrup thickens. It will be quite hot, so be careful.
- While the sugar and water are simmering, beat the egg whites until stiff in the bowl of an electric mixer. While continuing to beat, slowly and carefully pour the hot sugar syrup into the egg whites. Add the 3 tablespoons cocoa, the Cognac, and cinnamon.
- Spoon the mixture into the soufflé cups, tapping each cup to make sure there are no bubbles. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the soufflés are puffed and set. Immediately place the soufflés on dessert plates. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the tops and decorate each plate with 3 strawberries. Serve immediately.
- Place the almonds in a small sauce pan and toast for 3 to 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until nicely browned. Set aside.
Makes 4 servings
Baker's Tip: If you don't want to use Cognac, substitute ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Either way, you have an haute-cuisine dessert that can be made with ease!
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 130 calories (17% calories from fat)
- 2.5 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat)
- 5 g protein
- 24 g carbohydrate
- 3 g dietary fiber
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 70 mg sodium
- 260 mg potassium