Corn & Quinoa Casserole with Roasted Vegetables
This casserole recipe is filled with yummy vegetables, including corn, eggplant, carrots, celery and leeks. Add a little chili powder to spice it up!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided use
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoon chopped leeks
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, divided use
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 8 slices (1/2"-thick) eggplant
- 4 whole scallions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle the drained quinoa on a baking sheet. Place it in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat the ½ teaspoon of olive oil in a medium skillet and stir-fry the shallots, carrots, leeks and celery for 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup of the corn and the soy milk into a blender and puree.
- Add the pureed mixture to the stir-fried vegetables along with the remaining corn and all but 2 tablespoons of the toasted quinoa and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a small loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of toasted quinoa over the top.
- Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven while preparing the remaining vegetables.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Brush the eggplant slices and scallions with the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and arrange them in a roasting pan.
- Place in a hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Place a slice of eggplant on each four plates. Divide the quinoa into 4 portions and spoon on top of the eggplant. Place the remaining eggplant slices on top. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley and a pinch of chili powder. Place a scallion on top.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Makes 4 servings, each containing approximately:
- 205 calories
- 4g fat
- 0 cholesterol
- 27mg sodium
- 48g carbohydrates
- 7g protein