Recipe submitted by Lynn Picard, Executive Vice President/General Manager, Lifetime Television Network
We love to experiment with mashed potatoes. Try adding roasted garlic, fat-free sour cream or low-fat cheese for added flavor. Experiment with different types of potatoes such as Yukon Golds or Peruvian Purples for a different flavor.
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Leave the skin on the potatoes for added texture, flavor and fiber.
- Substitute 1/2 pound beets for 1/2 pound of the potatoes. Boil beets and potatoes together, then mash together with other ingredients.
- Substitute sweet potatoes for regular potatoes. Peel after boiling. Prepare as directed.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the potatoes. Then bring the water to a simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the pan from heat and drain the water.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper.
- Use a mixer to combine the ingredients until they are smooth.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe serves about 4.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 104 calories
- 4 grams protein
- 20 grams carbohydrates
- 1 gram fat