Chunky Corn Chowder with Kale and Sweet Potato
Corn chowder packed with fabulous flavors and good nutrition; all in one bowl.
This recipe is from Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC EATING WELL TO FIGHT ARTHRITIS: 200 easy recipes and practical tips to help Reduce Inflammation and Ease Symptoms.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups low sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 large Louisiana yam (sweet potato), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- In large nonstick pot, heat oil and sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender, 5-7 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly one minute.
- Gradually add milk and broth; bring to boil, stirring several minutes or until mixture thickens. Lower heat and add corn and sweet potato, cooking until sweet potato is tender, 6-8 minutes. Season to taste. Before serving stir in kale, cooking several minutes.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 186
- Calories from Fat 18%
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 1mg
- Sodium 91mg
- Carbohydrates 34g
- Dietary Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 9g
- Protein 6g
- Dietary Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Terrific Tip: If you want the soup a little thicker, dissolve two teaspoons cornstarch in a little water and add. After refrigerating leftovers, if too thick, add more broth.
For more healthy and delicious recipes from Holly Clegg, visit hollyclegg.com.