Recipe submitted by: Lynn Picard, Executive Vice President/General Manager, Lifetime Television Network.
Chocolate and mint go together wonderfully in this wonderful cake. This is a featured favorite from Canyon Ranch Health Resorts, which provides recipes for our quarterly newsletter. It's sure to please your loved ones, and is a terrific dessert for any occasion that calls for chocolate!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 jars baby food pureed prunes
- 1/2 ounce semi-sweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons non-fat chocolate fudge sauce
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray a 10-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the applesauce, milk, vanilla and mint extracts, coffee, prunes and chocolate. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in a small, non-plastic bowl until stiff. Fold into the cake batter.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack.
- When the cake is cool, spread the top with the non-fat chocolate sauce. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar just before serving. The easiest way to cut this cake into 12 equal servings is to first cut it into quarters. Cut each quarter into 3 equal wedges.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 148 calories
- 3 grams protein
- 30 grams carbohydrates
- 1 gram fat (6 % calories from fat)
- 51 milligrams calcium