Chili Con Carne
Building snowmen (and women), ice skating and sledding can build up a hearty appetite. Try this delicious chili recipe to warm up even the coldest winter snow bunny. Peppers, onions and garlic spice up this dish.
Recipe from Carol Hamilton, President, L'Oreal Paris.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 28 ounce can crushed Muir Glen organic tomatoes, undrained
- 16 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large saucepot, brown beef until cooked through, drain and set beef aside.
- In the same pot, add onions, bell pepper, garlic and olive oil, and sauté over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and cooked beef. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Each recipe makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 370 calories
- 38 g protein
- 23 g carbohydrates
- 14 g fat
- 83 mg cholesterol
- 384 mg sodium
- 7 g fiber