Recipe provided by Holly Clegg, author of trim&TERRIFIC™ Eating Well Through Cancer.
Think of this as a delicious smothered chicken with fancy flair. Serve with rice or over angel hair pasta tossed with olive oil in garlic.
Makes 6 (4-ounce) servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 (4-5-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin, if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup wine or low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- In plastic bag, combine flour and season to taste. Add chicken to coat.
- In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, heat oil. Add chicken breasts, and cook, over medium high heat, until lightly brown, about 3–4 minutes each side. Remove chicken to plate.
- To pan, add garlic, broth, lemon juice, wine and capers. Bring to boil, scrapping pan for loose bits. Return chicken to pan, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 209 kcal Calories
- 34% Calories from Fat
- 8 g Fat
- 1 g Saturated Fat
- 73 mg Cholesterol
- 222 mg Sodium
- 7 g Carbohydrates
- 0 g Dietary Fiber
- 1 g Total Sugars
- 25 g Protein
- Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat
Terrific Tip: Look for thin chicken breasts in the store. To pound chicken thinner, use a meat pounder or something hard, cover chicken with wax paper and pound to flatten-tenderizes chicken.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with angel hair pasta or rice tossed with olive oil and garlic.
Nutritional Nugget: This protein rich meal helps to ensure growth, to repair body tissue, and to maintain a healthy immune system.
Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC™Eating Well Through Cancer. For more of Holly's easy healthy recipes, visit her Blog and YouTube channel.