There’s nothing like chicken soup to warm you up on a cold winter’s day. This perfect comfort food is just like how Grandma used to make it. The addition of spices and vegetables gives this soup a great and customizable recipe for you to try out!
Recipe submitted by Adrienne Sapp, Corporate Marketing Manager, Wal-Mart.
- 4 pounds fresh chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 3 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- Small bunch of herbs, tied together (may include thyme, parsley, bay leaf and savory teas).
- Peppercorns to taste
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- Optional: cooked noodles or cooked brown rice
- Place chicken in stockpot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the onion, green beans and red bell pepper, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. Skim any fat or grease that may develop on top.
- Remove the chicken; clean the meat from the bones. Dice the meat and reserve. Discard the bones.
- Discard the bunch of herbs.
- Refrigerate the stock and remove the fat from the top after it cools.
- In a stockpot, combine cooled chicken stock, reserved chicken and reserved vegetables.
- Add 1 large onion, finely chopped, green beans and red bell pepper.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe makes 6 to 8 (1 1/2 cup) servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 236 calories
- 11 grams protein
- 11 grams carbohydrates
- 17 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)