Recipe submitted by Kally Mavromatis.
This recipe illustrates the influence of the Pacific Rim on San Franciscan cuisine. Here, we've marinated cubes of boneless chicken breasts in an Asian-style marinade, then thread them onto skewers with snow peas and cherry tomatoes. After grilling, serve over our slaw, a crunchy mix of cabbage, bean sprouts and daikon (Japanese radish).
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoons sesame sauce
- 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 36 fresh snow peas (about 6 ounces)
- 20 cherry tomatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded daikon radish
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
Chicken and Marinade
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Set aside.
- Remove and discard any visible fat from the chicken. Rinse and pat dry.
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. If using wooden rather than metal skewers, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Light a grill, or preheat the broiler.
- Blanch the snow peas in boiling water and cover for 1 minute. Drain. Thread the chicken cubes, snow peas and cherry tomatoes onto the 4 skewers.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve hot over a bed of crunchy Asian slaw.
Asian Slaw and Dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the red and green cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts and radish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle over the slaw and lightly toss.
- Serve at once as a bed for the grilled chicken skewers.
Each chicken skewer and Asian slaw recipe produces 4 servings.
Baker's Tip: Hoisin sauce is a sweet, spicy sauce sold in the Asian food section of most large supermarkets and Asian markets. You can substitute tomato-based chili sauce with good results.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 240 calories (41% calories from fat)
- 11 g total fat (1 g saturated fat)
- 23 g protein
- 1,114 g carbohydrate
- 3 g dietary fiber
- 220 mg sodium
- 665 mg potassium
- 80 calories (50% from fat)
- 4.5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat)
- 3 g protein
- 10 g carbohydrate
- 3 g dietary fiber
- 10 mg cholesterol
- 39 mg sodium
- 265 mg potassium