Recipe from Jennifer Williams, Consumables Marketing Manager, Wal-Mart.
No need for the dinner bell... your chicks, and even your rooster, will scurry to the kitchen when the aroma of this chicken pot pie fills the room at dinner time.
- 2 cups low-sodium, non-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound new potatoes, unpeeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 2 cups diced assorted vegetables — choose from zucchini, yellow squash, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, peas ... any of your favorites!
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken breast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup well-chilled, non-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring 1 cup broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes, or until soft, then add remaining 1 cup broth, potatoes and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add zucchini, yellow squash, red and green peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper for the last minute.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and milk and stir until smooth, add mustard.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and remove from heat.
- Pour into one 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate, or divide into 6 individual smaller dishes.
- Next comes the topping.
- Roll crust into circle large enough to cover 9-inch pie plate or individual ramekins.
- Cover filling and pinch edges to side of pan.
- Cut vents into top and bake 20 minutes, or until top is golden.
Each recipe makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 314 calories
- 22 g protein
- 36 g carbohydrates
- 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat)