Chicken Pot Pie
No need for the dinner bell... your chicks, and even your rooster, will scurry to the kitchen when the aroma of this chicken pot pie fills the room at dinner time.
Recipe from Jennifer Williams, Consumables Marketing Manager, Wal-Mart.
- 2 cups low-sodium, non-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound new potatoes, unpeeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 2 cups diced assorted vegetables — choose from zucchini, yellow squash, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, peas ... any of your favorites!
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken breast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup well-chilled, non-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring 1 cup broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes, or until soft, then add remaining 1 cup broth, potatoes and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add zucchini, yellow squash, red and green peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper for the last minute.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and milk and stir until smooth, add mustard.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and remove from heat.
- Pour into one 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate, or divide into 6 individual smaller dishes.
- Next comes the topping.
- Roll crust into circle large enough to cover 9-inch pie plate or individual ramekins.
- Cover filling and pinch edges to side of pan.
- Cut vents into top and bake 20 minutes, or until top is golden.
Each recipe makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 314 calories
- 22 g protein
- 36 g carbohydrates
- 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat)