Leftover cooked chicken turns magically into another easy Southern favorite. This spicy dish can put a kick in your step. Serve over rice. Make your jambalaya spicier with pre-cooked chicken breasts straight from the freezer.
This recipe is featured in Holly Clegg's Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.
- 4 ounces reduced-fat smoked sausage, diced
- 1/2 pound cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips or chunks
- 1 1/4 cups salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
This recipe makes 2 servings.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until done. Drain any excess grease.
- Add chicken, salsa and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add green onions, cooking 5 minutes longer.
- Serve over rice.
Baker’s Tip: Pick up frozen pre-cooked, grilled sliced chicken breast fillets for grilled flavor.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- 327 calories (20 % calories from fat)
- 7 g fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 116 mg cholesterol
- 1152 mg sodium
- 18 g carbohydrate
- 1 g dietary fiber
- 8 g sugars
- 42 g protein
- Dietary exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 5 lean meat